Parents & Carers
At Polden Bower School, we recognise that excellent partnerships with parent carers are an essential element in our children and young people thriving and reaching their full potential.
It is through working together that we can achieve the best outcomes for every student. Parent carers are always at the heart of our planning, along with the students and other professionals. This enables us to work together to ensure a consistent and successful approach so that pupils can make progress.
We are always looking at ways we can work together better.
The Pastoral team consists of two teams, the Family Team and the Health & Wellbeing Team. The wider Pastoral Team are there to support both the children, young people and their families.
Pastoral team aims:
- To ensure the health and wellbeing of all our students is a priority.
- To provide effective and consistent link between home and school.
- To work with families and other agencies to identify and support students' pastoral needs, to ensure they can remain engaged in learning.
- To support students and families so they can overcome any barriers to their learning and outcomes.
Our experienced and approachable practitioners take the time to get to know all of our students and families and truly engage with them. Relationships are a two-way process, and by working together, the aim is always to achieve the best outcomes for all of our students. The Pastoral Team strive to bring about positive change for our students, alongside parent carers, teachers and other professionals.
How do we work?
We work towards making positive change by identifying children in need of early help and intervention, and:
- Helping families to find and access local support groups and other useful information
- Sharing strategies to support communication, routine and behaviour in the home
- Supporting families to manage their child's emotional behaviour
- Providing useful information about starting school and supporting with transitions
- Helping to develop positive attitudes to school and improving attendance
- Supporting during key transition times such as a change in school
- Signposting to relevant agencies
- Providing confidential and impartial advice
- Discussing family concerns
- Working with families to remove social and emotional barriers to learning and development
- Supporting families who need early help services, signposting, referring and advocating
In addition to our Pastoral team, we have a range of internal staff and external organisations that we commission to provide targeted interventions, such as:
- Improving Attendance
- Managing behaviour
- Emotional well-being and mental health
- Relationships and sex education
- Group work and 1:1 support for students (boys and girls groups)
- CLA/PLAC Mentoring
Should you need to contact the Pastoral team, please contact the main reception 01278 496386 who will ensure you are passed through to the right person who can help.